I have discovered a new way to make salads and I’m really loving it. All you have to do is to prepare your favourite salad ingredients and layer them in a mason jar. You should start by placing harder ingredients such as beans or carrots in the lower layer, meat or seafood in the middle layer and softer items such as tomatoes or lettuce leaves on top. The possibilities are endless. So I now make these salads to take to work. They are quick to make, look yum and are very tasty as well.
1/4 Cup Cooked Chickpeas
1 Can of Tuna Chunks (In oil or water)
4-5 Lettuce Leaves
1/4 Tsp Ground Pepper
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp White Vinegar
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1) Slice the cucumber and tomatoes in circles and grate or julienne the carrot.
2) Drain the tuna from the can to remove any liquid.
3) Wash and dry the lettuce leaves using kitchen towel and break into bite size pieces.
4) To assemble the salad, simple layer the ingredients in a mason jar. Starting with the chickpeas, followed by cucumber, carrot, tuna, tomatoes and lastly the lettuce leaves.
5) Mix all the ingredients together for the dressing in a small bowl and transfer to a ziplock bag. I usually use the smallest zip lock bag which is the snack one for it. Fold the ziplock bad and place it on top of the lettuce leaves. Close the jar. This salad can be stored like this in the fridge for upto 5 days.
6) Before eating, simply shake the jar and empty the contents on a plate after you removed the dressing bag. Season with the dressing according to your taste and enjoy.
Tip: Since this salad can keep for so long in the fridge, you pick a day of the week such as Sunday and prepare a batch on them in 1 go. I suggest making 2-3 different types of salad. That way you have a salad ready to take to work or just to enjoy at home without the hassle of the preparation.